The Only Potato Salad Recipe You Will Ever Need...

You're welcome.

I know you may think I'm kidding, but I could not be more serious. Potato salad is one of those summer staples; that dish which just screams SUMMER!, FAMILY BBQ!, and AMERICA!. And yet, for many of us food-allergenic types, potato salad is off the table. Its main ingredient, other than potatoes of course, is egg-filled (and often soybean-laced if it's a generic brand) mayonnaise. Not to mention the fact that people love to get creative with this side dish and add everything from cheese to breadcrumbs. I blame the influx of cooking shows which seem to have turned everyone into an aspiring Julia Child.

Regardless, potato salad and I parted ways some time ago; even when it was just gluten I was avoiding, I steered clear of this dish at parties. One never knows what a creative chef added to the mix...and even if there were no gluten-containing ingredients, the bowl always ends up sitting in close proximity to the pasta salad bowl and the chance of their spoons having been mixed up is enough to instill fear in the pit of my stomach. It was a rough separation, and it certainly was not without moments of nostalgia and longing for what once was: warm summer nights with a delicious burger and a side of scrumptious potato salad. But considering my health and clear-headedness remain a priority for me, I had accepted my lot in life and bid a fond farewell to one of my favorite summer dishes.

Until a few weeks ago that is...

I was surfing through Pinterest one evening (shocking I know) and stumbled across a pin for vegan potato salad. Well of course I clicked right away, but proceeded with caution as I've learned to do as not to be let down when potentially exciting treasures turn out to be more akin to a pyrite find. However, this time I was in luck: I'd struck gold! This recipe was INGENIUS!! Replace the mayo with avocado!! How had I never thought of this before?!?! I set right to work and the following is what ensued. Please keep in mind, I take no credit for this recipe whatsoever...it was all because of a fortuitous Pinterest encounter that led me here.

Step 1: Cut potatoes (I used Yukon gold) into small chunks.
(And yes, I have a new cutting board: the old one was a casualty
of the cockroach invasion...another story for another time)

Step 2: Bring the potatoes to a boil, then lower the heat and let them heat until cooked.

Step 3: While the potatoes are cooking, cut up a ripe avocado.

Step 4: Dice a 1/2 cup of cucumber and 2 tablespoons red onion.

Step 5: Add the cucumber, red onion, and 2 tablespoons dill to the avocado.

Step 6: Add 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard (the key ingredient!!), salt and pepper to taste,
a bit of lemon juice and mix together! 
The magic ingredients! And Koops' is certified gluten-free :-)
The potatoes will likely be cooked by the time you blend the mix. Drain the potatoes, allow them to cool for about 20 minutes, and then mix it all together. Your life will never be the same.

You may notice I don't have a picture of the finished product; this is particularly surprising since I've now made this potato salad 4 different times...I just get so excited I forget a final photo!

Lastly, I do have one piece of advice. If you've ever used avocado, you know the biggest issue: it's greenness is short-lived. It's challenging enough to convince your friends to try a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free dish...but if it has a brownish hue, it will be that much more of a struggle. Hence, this is not a dish to make the night before and bring...if you want anyone else to eat it that is. Additionally, it doesn't keep well so be cognizant of numbers when preparing it. For example, I made a  batch one night and neglected to consider the fact that my solo dinner would not require as much potato salad as a group event. I ate the brownish leftovers the next day too, but trust me, it wasn't quite the same.

So, despite the numerous Back-to-School promotions which are trying to convince you otherwise, you  still have plenty of summer left! Get out there, enjoy it, and bring potato salad back to your summer dinner table :-)

courtesy of Pinterest

Comments