When Late September Feels Like Summer...

I'm not sure about wherever you're reading this, but here in Boston it feels like summer today even though the calendar says September 26th. Though the unseasonable weather certainly poses some challenges (do we turn on the A/C in September??), there are also some undeniable perks. Boston winters come early and last long...so the days of long walks with the little guy are numbered...and I'm savoring every single one. Also, this gives me a few more days to procrastinate in finally switching over to my Fall wardrobe and digging the Fall decorations out of the scary abyss that is our "seasonal items" closet. And last but not least, this little heat wave gives me a chance to enjoy a treat I probably would otherwise pass up: pumpkin ice cream.

Yes, this is my actual cup of ice cream. The pumpkin and gourd were just in the window and I couldn't resist!


Now I'm sure that paragraph already has your mind running through some questions but we'll deal with the most obvious: 1)Katie, pumpkin ice cream- are you in denial? You still can't eat dairy; and 2) if there is such a thing as Katie-safe pumpkin ice cream, why can't you eat it everyday this Fall? Well, the great news is yes, there is such a thing! And as for the second part, well I can't explain it but I've never been someone who enjoys cold things like ice cream in cold weather. Even back in my dairy-filled days, I was never one of those people who could down a bowl of ice cream on a January night. I made an exception some years for an ice-cream birthday cake, but other than that I said farewell to ice cream in August and hello again sometime in April or May.

So with the thermometer reading somewhere around 80 degrees, I laced up my walking shoes, packed the little guy in the stroller, and we set off on the one-mile trek to one of my favorite places in Boston, FoMu, for a delicious cup of Katie-safe Pumpkin Caramel ice cream. Now I mentioned this place briefly in my overview of new Katie-safe places in Boston, but it really has come to deserve its own post. This place is 100% vegan. That's right- an ice cream shop that is 100% vegan. What's even better for me is they also clearly identify the other major allergens in their products and they have MANY options for friends like me who have to avoid both gluten and dairy. On top of that (I know you'd think it couldn't get better) they have coffee! And not just plain coffee (though you can certainly get that too), but lattes, cappuccino, etc. AND you don't have to ask "Does this come in a dairy-free form?" BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL DAIRY-FREE (which also means no dairy cross-contamination to worry about). There are also seasonal beverages like a caramel apple cider that I've only read about but you better believe I'm counting down the days to October.

Now I could go on and on about this place, but I'll just give you the highlights for now:

  • 100% vegan
  • all ice cream is made from scratch
  • ice cream is preservative-free
  • all baked goods and inclusions are made in the FOMU bake shop
  • all allergens are clearly marked (and since everything is handmade, they know whats in it!)
  • gluten-free cones are available!
  • GLUTEN-FREE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES!! (sorry, that one blew me away)
  • it is 1 mile from our apartment (the Allston location that is)
  • There is so much more but you can read about it for yourself on their website

Gluten-free ice cream sammies!!
( Side note: Is "sammies" a Boston thing?? I never heard it before moving here.)

Look at all those delicious treats you can take home!

So many cone choices...including gluten-free cones!

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, the ice cream is made with a coconut milk base...so clearly there is a hint of coconut in every ice cream. That means if you're not a coconut lover, it might not be for you. HOWEVER, I would strongly suggest you try it because I'm not a huge fan of coconut myself, but mixed with the right flavors I have to say I have found several winning flavors at FOMU. And the best part is they will happily give you a small taste of any flavor so you can make that determination before you gamble on a whole cup of something! (If you have a coconut allergy, you have my sincere condolences and I apologize for not warning you at the top of the page:-(

This came out a little blurry but the menu changes constantly (hand-made remember!)
Here were the treats when we were there AND allergens are clearly marked :-)


Now the important question: how do you experience this wonder for yourself?? Well, Boston friends, it's pretty simple. There are locations in Allston, Jamaica Plain, and South End. I personally have only frequented the Allston location but I imagine they're all as quaint! You can also find their ice cream sold in various specialty shops throughout Boston. I know for certain they sell it at the Whole Foods in Brighton but I know they stock in many places so if you contact them, I'm sure they'll be able to give you the latest list.

Non-Boston friends, you just have to come visit me! Actually, that's not true at all (but still, please come visit!) because FOMU ships to the 48 contiguous states and DC. But really, come visit. The little guy and I are more fun than the FedEx delivery person. That's a fact :-)

Now the little guy and I are off to sit in the yard before this last dose of summer fades. But if anyone wants to make the mile-trek, we're up always up for a FOMU adventure (even twice in one day)!



Comments