It's Christmas in July!

When we think back on childhood Christmases, I bet there are a few common memories many of  us share: a stack of beautifully wrapped presents just waiting to be torn open, the delicious scent of dinner mixed with the last few batches of Christmas cookies wafting from the oven in the kitchen, and of course the hugs, smiles, and laughter shared between family members who may not have seen each other since last Christmas. Now that I have you feeling nostalgic for the holiday season, you're probably asking yourself why I'm talking about Christmas on a 90-degree day in July. Well, that's because my Christmas in July is quickly approaching and I want to invite you to join me...or at least to find your own Christmas in another month (before December!). Before you think I've completely lost my mind, I'll answer the question, What the heck is she talking about?, for you: The Gluten Free & Allergen Friendly Expo, of course! Now you may remember my posts about this event in the past. I've relocated from the New Jersey Expo to the Worcester Expo now that we're residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (I know, it's still a little crazy to me too) but thankfully the two Expos are equally amazing.

Worcester Expo- 2016
My first GFAF Expo: Secaucus, NJ 2014
 If you refer back to the Christmas description above, you'll see why I love the GFAF Expo so much. I leave each year with a giant bag (or two) of beautifully wrapped treats: all Katie-safe and delicious and just waiting for me to tear them open for a perfect meal/snack/treat; many vendors have ovens on-site to prepare freshly-heated samples of everything from gluten-free pizza crust and bagels to Veggie Fries and Pop-Tarts- so the smells that greet you when you enter the Exhibition Hall make you even more excited for the hours ahead.

This was my loot in 2014...I feel like it gets bigger every year!

 Finally, as someone who is now attending my 4th Expo, I can tell you there is a regular cast of characters with whom you become familiar. There are returning faces at many booths, but this is especially true when it comes to the Expo speakers...and even the other bloggers! A year has passed since many of these familiar faces have crossed paths, and there are always plenty of hugs, smiles, and stories to share. Last, but not least, I get to walk around all day eating (and drinking) amazing Katie-safe treats until I'm on the verge of a holiday-type food coma. As I said, it's not all that different from Christmas at all- and since the Worcester Expo takes place in July, it is perfectly placed to be my Christmas in July.


Visiting with the author of really cute children's book about celiac!

 I'm even more excited about the Expo this year since it also marks my return to the world of blogging after a hiatus to settle into Boston and welcome our newest little family member. (He's almost 6 weeks old now and absolutely perfect.)  Additionally, I have to say that since I've entered the world of parenthood, I have a much greater appreciation for the need to find more ready-made/on-the-go Katie-safe options...since my more labor-intensive recipes from the past prove challenging with a 5-week-old in tow..so I am anxious to explore the vendor tables this year with a bit of a priority shift.


Best of all, if you'd like to join me at the Worcester Expo this year (July 22-23), I have 5 free tickets to give away! Just fill out the "Contact Katie" form to the right, or you can comment below or on the post on Facebook or Instagram and you're entered to win! Sadly, I know many of you are a bit far from Massachusetts, so make sure to check out the other locations and visit an Expo near you! And if all of that isn't enough to get you excited, you just never know what will happen at the Expo: these 2 got engaged at the Expo in 2014!

Even proposals happen at the Expo...complete with a gluten-free cupcake :-)





Comments