I Think I'll Go to Boston...

That's right...after several months of radio silence, I'M BACK!! There is plenty to discuss (considering we have nearly 7 months, including gluten-free wedding planning/interstate moving tips, to cover)...but all those things will come in due time.

For those of you who don't know, the title of this blogpost is more than just the refrain of an Augustana song circa 2009, it has been the mantra of my life for the past few months. We knew that most likely the Physicist would wrap up his Ph.D. this academic year and so the summer of 2016 would involve a big move for us (hence why we decided to plan our wedding in March, even though that meant mid-school-year AND mid-Lent). However, I'll admit there was a little piece of me that was hoping the "big" move would entail a short trip up I-95 to Philly, or even a position in Baltimore which would allow us to stick around for a few years. There's something about familiarity, especially when it takes years to figure out safe places to eat, doctors you can trust, and friends who learn how to cook for you...or understand when you show up with your own meal, that makes it even harder to say good-bye to a place you know and love. But when the phone rang just about 3 weeks before our wedding and it was Harvard on the other end...well, you just can't turn that down. So after the wedding, we went into job hunt (for me)/apartment search/packing mode and just shy of 3 months into our married life, we packed everything we own into a rental truck and headed north.



We have technically been living here for a month now, but our year of weddings/summer of travels have taken us elsewhere for about half of that time. I can say that Boston is quite charming, and I am confident that I will soon grow to love it here too...but as you can probably imagine, starting over again poses some challenges- and I'm only focusing on food-wise here! I have to find new go-to places to eat, research new grocery stores that have my "special foods", and of course, I have to share a kitchen again for the first time in years. Despite all these challenges, I have to say the last month, and really the last 4, have also been among the happiest of my life. There's something about having a co-pilot by my side as I face these challenges that makes them just a little less daunting. And of course, I get to share the adventure with all of you...and anyone you might know who is in Boston :-)

Don't worry: much of our life is still in boxes, but the coffee cart is ready to go!
 So, just like I did in Baltimore for the past 5 years (seriously, is anyone else baffled by the fact that it has been 5 years since my diagnosis...because I am), I am looking forward to exploring the Boston area and discovering all the hidden gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and sort of corn-free (another post for another time) gems that I'm certain are waiting for me. And what better way to begin that search? A Gluten-Free, Allergen-Free Expo, of course!! You may remember my excited foray into the official blogger world 2 years ago for the same event in New Jersey. Well, there just so happens to be another Expo NEXT WEEKEND!! It's located in Worcester, so just a short 40 minute ride from our apartment in Boston. Words cannot express my excitement for all the delicious samples waiting for us next weekend...but more importantly, I cannot wait to jumpstart my hunt for Katie-safe foods by connecting with other Boston bloggers and vendors there. Now, the even better news is that because I'm an official blogger, I have free tickets to give away! Granted, I have almost no followers in the Boston area yet, so if you happen to know someone who might be interested in attending, send them my way (cupofcoffeewithkatie@gmail.com).

Here are the important details:
What: Gluten-Free/Allergen-Free Expo
Where: DCU Center-North Exhibit Hall- 50 Foster St., Worcester, MA 01608
When: July 23rd and 24th 10 AM - 4 PM
Who: Tons of amazing vendors (including Glutino, Udi's, Enjoy Life, Earth Balance, Wegman's, etc.)...and yours truly, of course
Why: Because for one day you will remember what it feels like to walk around a room filled with delicious treats and be able to taste almost every single one without fear...and because for that one day, you'll feel like you belong to a family of people who understand what your daily life is like in a way no one else can.



I look forward to sharing the fun and excitement of the weekend with you via countless posts and photos next weekend...and even more reviews and recommendations in the weeks following.

I promise I'm back for real this time. I've missed you...and we have a lot of catching up to do :-)

I can't wait to recreate this photo 2 years later :-)

Comments